Old Sautee Store
2315 GA highway 17
Sautee, GA 30571
Located in the Nacoochee Valley Historic District at the intersection of the Nacoochee and Sautee Valleys of Northeast Georgia stands a historic and proud old general store...The Old Sautee Store. When it was built in 1872 it was a true general store. Local residents would come to the store to purchase food, seed, or farm supplies. It served as the local post office for Sautee-Nacoochee until 1913 and as the post office for Sautee until 1962. Through the Nacoochee Valley and directly in front of the store ran the old Unicoi Turnpike, a major thoroughfare from the navigatable end of the Tugaloo River to the Unicoi Mountains of East Tennessee.
A second major road connected the Nacoochee Valley with Rabun county to the Northeast. Appearing on maps as early as 1837, portions of this highway are now part of Georgia Highways 255, 197, and U.S. Highway 76. It used the Stovall Covered Bridge over Chickamauga Creek. At the time the store was completed it sat at what was one of the busiest intersection of roads in these parts.
After nearly 135 years the old store still retains the characteristics of the Old Days with its deep, rich golden brown hues of aged wood. In the front one can still see the past in the memorable displays of days gone by, while finding many "new" general store items such a old-time candy, specialty foods, house-wares, gifts, apparel and jewelry in the back additions to this proud old one of a kind establishment.
7 - 7
Monday thru Saturday: 10:00 - 5:30 PM
Sunday: 12:00 - 5:30 PM
© 2001-2014 dMouseworks.com. All rights reserved.